Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Not Just Hiking - October 2011

BOOKS
War and Peace (Book One) by Leo Tolstoy
Oh, how I love this book. After reading Pat Conroy's small tome on reading, I was persuaded to pick this up again. I didn't realize how much I had missed Prince Andrei and Natasha and Count Bezuhov. And this time, I can take my time. The best way to read Tolstoy is slowly.

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones
For book club. Early comments are on how disturbing this book is. I did not find it disturbing. I think the author tried to write a disturbing book ... and failed. It did make me want to re-read Great Expectations, but I have to get in line behind my 12 year old son. He has his hands on the Dickens classic. This was shortlisted for the Booker?

A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter
When stuck in a rut go back to those books that give you comfort. Like hanging out with an old friend. This is another character I didn't know I had missed until I stopped by for a visit. Also a perennial favorite of one of my favorite bloggers.

The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant
Finally, a book club book I could sink my teeth into (pun intended). The first two choices were poorly written drivel (and they are both being made into movies?) This was well-written. The author managed to combine the story of this tiger with the history of the Tiger and the lager eco-history of this part of Russia. Great read.

The Hare with the Amber Eyes by Edmund De Waal
I enjoyed the first half of this book, but then it seemed to bog down in Vienna. I finished it, but I really skimmed the last half of the book. I was disappointed that there were no photos or illustrations of the netsuke.

MOVIES
The Perfect Game
Baseball, faith, family, redemption, love, underdogs. Everything I love in a movie. This was a great one.

Dolphin Tale
Oh what a great movie. I cried the entire time. I want to see it again.

Alpha and Omega
Just dumb.

The Fantastic Mr. Fox
My boys loved this.

The First Dog
Completely unrealistic, but a sweet story.

Courageous
I admit it. I shamelessly love the movies by this Christian group. My favorite is Facing the Giants, but this one was great. I love that I can take my kids to a movie and NEVER worry about what they will see or hear. It is a shame the ratings agency gave this a PG-13 rating. It must be the cleanest PG-13 movie I have ever seen.

It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

No comments: