Friday, March 2, 2012

It's Independence Day!

Well, it is in Texas at least. We will be celebrating by eating (bad, so bad) bar-b-que and taking M to baseball tryouts. Why does a state celebrate its own independence day?

It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
Emiliano Zapata

Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.
Sam Houston

You may all go to hell, and I'll go to Texas.
Davey Crockett

To The People of Texas and
All Americans In The World --
February 24, 1836

Fellow citizens & compatriots --
I am beseiged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna -- I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man -- The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken -- I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls -- I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism, & every thing dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch -- The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country --
VICTORY OR DEATH
William Barrett Travis (at the Alamo)

We celebrate because of people like that.

No comments: