Thursday, May 31, 2012

Not Just Hiking - May 2012


Want to see what I am reading and have read before I post my complete list at the end of the month? Want to know when I read a book or what I am going to read? Check out my Goodreads page. Want to see a list of every physical book in this house? Want to know what my husband read? Want to know what my kids own? Visit LibraryThing.

BOOKS

American Triumvirate: Sam Snead, Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan and the Modern Age of Golf by James Dodson
My dad grew up on these guys.  I grew up on the ones that came right after ... Arnie and Jack.  If you like golf as much as I do, you will enjoy this book.  If you just like a good sports story than this might be it.  Dodson can definitely write one.

The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan
I love Rick Riordan.  This series was not a good as the Percy Jackson series, but I still enjoyed it. Want to know why I really love these books ... my kids and I talk about them.

Private Empire: ExxonMobil and American Power by Steve Coll
I may know one or two people who work for this company, and I was interested to see how poorly Coll portrayed Exxon.  Yet, I was surprised by how fair and balanced he was.  But, let me tell you, he nailed the culture.  Strict, competitive, no room for mistakes.  Yep.  ExxonMobil is always right.  Always.  Even when they aren't, they are.  And a good bit of advice if you ever want to do business with the company ... be prepared (kind of like the Boys Scouts but on steroids).  I have seen it myself.  If you bring one person to a meeting, Exxon will bring three.  If you bring three, the will have nine.  I enjoyed it because of the connection I have to the company and because I actually know one or two people in the book.  But I can't say this one is a page turner.

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
My mother-in-law handed me this book just before I left Houston.  Easy airplane read and a break from the Exxon book.

The Camel Bookmobile by Masha Hamilton
Bleh.  Awfully boring book club read.

Book in May: 5
Books in 2012: 40

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Yeah, I didn't really like The Camel Bookmobile either. And I must have been in the wrong mood when I tried to read the first Percy Jackson book. I just couldn't see what all the fuss was about.