Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Spring Hiking

I have been lazy ... but as we are gearing up for some great hiking and backpacking this summer (thank goodness I have my Kindle - my husband made me take the cover off however, because it was too heavy) I thought I would update the hiking part of this site.


March 31 - Bozeman, Montana
"The Big M"



Distance:1.6 miles
Elevation: 850 feet
Miles hiked in 2012: 5.6
Miles hiked since arrival in Canada: 74.6


April 8 - Jumpingpound Loop
We may have gotten a little ahead of ourselves ... this was muddy and a tough slog.  But, as we like to say, a bad day hiking is better than a good day playing video games.





Distance: 5 miles
Elevation: negligible
Miles hike in 2012: 10.6
Miles hiked since arrival in Canada: 79.6



April 17-18 - Wheeler Hut
We did this one on snowshoes for an overnight Scout trip.  Watch for many more snowshoe treks next winter.  




Distance: 3 miles
Elevation: negligible
Miles hike in 2012: 13.6
Miles hiked since arrival in Canada: 83


May 12 - Baldy Pass
We had a longer and more scenic route in mind, but when I heard the ranger say "avalanche danger" I chose this one instead.  There was still plenty of snow on the shady, upper part of the trail but it was a good day with a trip to our favorite ice cream shop as a reward.  




Distance: 5 miles
Elevation: 1800 feet
Miles hike in 2012: 19
Miles hiked since arrival in Canada: 88