Monday, July 30, 2012

Not Just Hiking - July 2012




Want to see what I am reading and have read before I post my complete list at the end of the month? Want to know when I read a book or what I am going to read? Check out my Goodreads page. Want to see a list of every physical book in this house? Want to know what my husband read? Want to know what my kids own? Visit LibraryThing.

BOOKS

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson
For Shelf Discovery - Even more upset with my school and small town librarians.  It was bad enough that they never sent me in the direction of Cormier and that they kept some of Blume's best books away from me.  But to be the young girl I was and to have been denied this book was a tragedy.  I loved this book now on my first reading of it and I know I would have loved it then.  I was reminded of myself so many times, that I think it would have been a comfort in my self-doubt plagued youth.  My favorite line was when Sara Louise's husband says "God in heaven's been raising you for this valley from the day you were born."  Sometimes I feel like that ... although I don't have a place because we move so often, I feel like I am destined for this life.  It would have been nice to have thought - back then - that I had a destiny.

Are You in the House Alone by Richard Peck
For Shelf Discovery - Here is one I am not sorry I missed.  I don't like scary books.

Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris
Another superlative offering by Mr. Morris ... and it barely touched on his efforts and successes in creating the National Parks and the National Monuments.  I can't wait to get to the last in the trilogy.  Apparently, he became yet more fascinating.  Morris is an excellent story-teller.

Bringing Up The Bodies by Hilary Mantel
The second of three planned books that fictionally chronicle the life of Thomas Cromwell.  Proof, once again, that the people behind the power are usually the most interesting.  This was not an easy read.  It required concentration and time.  It was worth it.

Billy Lynn's Long Half-Time Walk by Ben Fountain
I was just disappointed in the lack of originality.

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
Oh, I liked this book.  I am so glad I read it in the middle of summer and the middle of baseball season.  I think it was the characters ... Henry was another one I loved.  The little guy wins in the end.  And in this case so does the big guy and the girl too.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
I didn't get the appeal.
(added in mid-August - my 12 year-old son, however, loved it)



Book in July: 7
Books in 2012: 54

1 comment:

Amy said...

I have the Mantel book, but seeing as how I haven't even read Wolf Hall yet, I'm a bit behind. I need to get on that. I'm betting it'll show up in the Tournament of Books next March.