Thursday, August 30, 2012

Not Just Hiking - August 2012




Want to see what I am reading and have read before I post my complete list at the end of the month? Want to know when I read a book or what I am going to read? Check out my Goodreads page. Want to see a list of every physical book in this house? Want to know what my husband read? Want to know what my kids own? Visit LibraryThing.

BOOKS

A Thousand Cuts by Simon Lelic
Mrs. Mental-Multivitamin rarely lets me down, and her recommendation of this book was quite possibly, the best yet.  The experience of reading this was like my experience reading The Handmaid's Tale.  I had to go slowly.  I was compelled to read the book, but I often found myself so agitated and angry that I would have to put it down to give myself a little breathing room.  It was fascinating and terrifying and so beautifully conceived and written.   It challenged me ... how many books can say that these days?

Really. ONE book finished in the entire month of August.  Just One.  

Ah, but the days are getting shorter and the nights are getting colder and the kids are back in school and I am piling up books and recommendations for the Fall and Winter reading seasons. 


Books in August: 1
Books in 2012: 55

No comments: